General Dentistry Specialist
Dr. Ylang Nguyen provides outstanding general dentistry services for patients of all ages. Whether you’re interested in the latest innovation in preventive dental care, cosmetic dentistry, or restorative treatments, you can trust Dr. Nguyento care for your smile from childhood all the way through those glorious senior years. Call today for an appointment with Dr Ylang Nguyen in Tacoma, Washington. For convenience, try the patient-friendly online scheduling service.
General Dentistry Q & A
What is general dentistry?
Some dentists focus on one specialty or another, such as pediatric dentistry or periodontal disease. As a generalist, Dr. Nguyenis a primary care dentist who provides dental care to all age groups. His warm and friendly personality and extensive skills make him an excellent choice for family and children’s dentistry as well as senior dental care. His professional training equips him to diagnose, treat, and manage all aspects of your overall dental care.
While Dr. Nguyen may choose to refer you to a specialist for certain complex surgical procedures, his general dentistry services include:
- Gum care to prevent and treat periodontal disease
- Root canal treatments and dental crowns
- Other restorative care, including cavity treatment and repair using composite, tooth-colored fillings
- Cosmetic dentistry that includes Invisalign®, bridges, full and partial dentures, and teeth whitening
What are dental crowns?
A crown (or cap) encases the entire tooth surface, restoring it to its original shape and size. A crown protects and strengthens the tooth, giving the tooth a longer life than those restored with fillings. Dr. Nguyen may recommend a crown for:
- Broken or fractured teeth
- Cosmetic enhancement
- Decayed teeth requiring large fillings
- Fractured fillings
- Protecting a tooth after root canal treatment
What are composite fillings?
Composite fillings consist of a blend of glass or quartz and plastic resin that’s colored to blend with the remaining part of the natural tooth. Unlike amalgam fillings used in the past, composite fillings are mercury free. Other advantages of using composite fillings for cavity repair include:
- Natural appearance of the tooth
- Strength and durability that closely matches natural teeth
- Less removal of tooth structure
- Less sensitivity to temperature changes than teeth restored with amalgam
What if I need a tooth extraction?
When a tooth is not repairable, Dr. Nguyen may recommend extraction. He keeps your comfort a priority during extraction and uses numbing agents liberally when necessary to prevent pain. For more complex procedures, he may recommend conscious sedation with nitrous oxide (laughing gas) to help you relax. Dr. Nguyen is also very selective when it comes to tooth extractions, and doesn’t hesitate to refer you to an oral surgeon if he feels that’s your best treatment option.